Skip to main content
Pages and Files
Zhuo Zhou 涿州
Zhuo Zhou, located north of the Zhu River, was the site of a Mahakala temple built at the request of ‘Phags pa
in 1276. ‘Phags pa assigned the famous Nepalese artist, A nig e (
–1318) to direct the construction of the temple, the structure of which was identical with the Qian Yuan (
) temple in Shangdu (
), which Anige had built in 1274. The statue of Mahakala housed inside faced south. ‘Phags pa consecrated the temple himself and later appointed Dampa (1230–1303) as the temple’s abbot. This temple dedicated to Mahakala was built as part of a larger initiative to support the Yuan in their conquest of the Southern Song. Specifically, it was built to guarantee the success of chancellor Bayan Baharidai (1236–95) in his campaign against the remaining Southern Song forces in the Jiangnan area, which resulted in victory in the same year of the building of the temple.
Weirong, Shen. 2004. Magic Power, Sorcery and Evil Spirit: The Image of Tibetan Monks in Chinese Literature during the Yuan Dynasty. In Christoph Cüppers, Ed.
The Relationship between Religion and State (chos srid zung 'brel) in Traditional Tibet.
Lumbini International Research Institute: Lumbini. pp. 202–04.
Entry by Eveline S. Yang, 4/24/07
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"