lamas-and-emperors



Baita Shan Beihai Gongyuan

According to the Yuan history, in the 12th month of 1290, Qubilai Khan's imperial preceptor Pakpa undertook Buddhist rituals at Wansui shan [Baita shan], which was part of the imperial city at that time. Every year offerings were made to the Buddhist images at this place. In 1651, the Qing Shunzhi emperor restored this regular practice, and lamas again recited scriptures here, and the emperor worshipped at this place as well. Shunzhi period stele inscription recorded his exchange with the Western Lama, to whom he granted the name Naoben han (恼本汗).

Source:
  • Yanjing ba jing. DS 795.6 A2 Y36 2002.